Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stem Cell Transplant Caregivers

The time is fast approaching for my husband's stem cell transplant. A stem cell transplant is a major life-changing process. The closer we get the more the medical team tells us about this process. So many things could go wrong. We are trying to dwell on the fact that this process could bring an extended remission or even a cure to the mantle cell lymphoma. Doctors in Europe are starting to call the stem cell transplant a cure for this disease.

My husband has not required extensive care from me as of today, but I hear and have read that this will change. "In reality, caring for someone having a BMT (Bone marrow /stem cell transplant) is a unique commitment requiring extraordinary physical and emotional effort. The primary medical focus, of course, is directly on the patient, the hope for a positive treatment outcome. However, like the patient, the challenge of a BMT for the caregiver becomes life changing as well. "--Myra Jacobs & Mary Horowitz, MD.

For almost 29 years now I have loved and yes even liked my husband. He is my best friend. God has given us a wonderful marriage. Without this love and dedication I have for him, I don't think that I would be able to endure what is about to invade our lives. My responsibility will not be a casual one, but one that is a serious and ongoing promise. Soon I will become coach, nurse, nutritionist, aid, driver, administrative assistant, advocate, and more. My duties will go on for weeks, months, or a year. No matter how long or how challenging it is clearly worth the effort for a man that has loved me and that I love with all my heart.

"O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me, " Daniel 10:19.

No comments: