Monday, June 16, 2008

My Best Friend




At the urging of a special lady, I am writing about my best friend today. My best friend's name is Charlie, my awesome husband. Josephine, the special lady that I mentioned, said "I love you" for the last time on this earth to her best friend on Mother's Day. A 21 yr. old man, drunk and filled with drugs, killed my friend's best friend, lover, and husband by hitting his truck head on in Louisiana. You may read their story on her blog (link can be reached from here by clicking on her blog listed under Josephine Lirette).

Girls of the 60's and 70's were encouraged by society to have a career. As far back as I can remember, I always dreamed of finding "Mr. Right", being a homemaker, and living happily ever after. A career outside of home just has never been too appealing to me. I did attend college for about 2 1/2 years before I met the man that I know God had planned for me to marry, but I never pursued a career outside of our home. Charlie's desire was also for me to be a stay-at-home wife/mom. It has worked out wonderfully for us for almost 29 years. Although I know that I have failed at times, I have strived to be the best wife/mom. I have great joy in knowing that I make our house a home for Charlie and our children.

From the beginning of our lives together we have put Jesus in the center. Through every trial of life, although tough at times, Jesus has seen us through. With every trial, we have grown spiritually and in love with each other even more. Many times a day we express our love to each other. Our children have no doubt that Mom and Dad love each other. Growing up, they would often laugh and say that we were too "mushy". Being too "mushy" is what gave them security.

When I think of all that my husband has done for me and our five children, my heart and mind is overwhelmed with gratitude. For almost twenty-nine years Charlie has labored physically to supply our needs. How could I not love such a man? The very reason that he now has lymphoma may be because he was willing to risk his health in dangerous jobs.

I have been very blessed to have a husband that is grateful for me as well. Perhaps that is the reason that we are very happily married. Both of us strive very much to please the other. Both of us are very thankful for one another. I believe that the secret of success in life (and marriage)is self-unawareness.
"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it," Matthew 16:24, 25. For many years now I have loved Charlie with all my heart and in return I have an awesome man that loves me with all of his heart. What a deal!

Lymphoma is not pleasant at all. What will our future be like? We don't know the answer, but we DO know the one that DOES know. We just pray for the Lord to give us the grace to endure it. Meanwhile, we are enjoying the time that we do have together. In a certain way, we have been given a gift from God. Even though we never really took each other for granted, we REALLY don't now. Also, we are able to spend much time together now. Previous to lymphoma we were sometimes both too busy to appreciate each other fully.

To all of you that have prayed for our family, I say "Thanks". To all of you that take your loved ones for granted, please decide not to before it is too late. I know that my friend, Josephine, is very pleased that she didn't take her husband for granted. Remember to say "I love you" to those that you do love because they really need to hear it.

3 comments:

Nancy M. said...

What a honor you have given to your husband. You are a fine lady.

Rebekah Tastet said...

You are blessed to have a wonderful marriage and children. I enjoyed your entry.
Love, Rebekah

Jad and Rachelle Terrebonne said...

Glenda,
That was So Very sweet. You and
Charlie are Great People and are
a Real Testimony to the Lord! Just hang in there!!!

We love You, and are Praying
for you!!!

God Bless You