Friday, July 31, 2009

Remembering One Year Ago

One year ago today my husband was in the fight of his life. On July 31, 2008 it was Day 22 post transplant and still no stem cell engraftment. Charlie had a Care Page that I posted on almost daily to keep friends and relatives informed. The following is a post from July 30, 2008:

Today's bone marrow biopsy was painless for Charlie. Praise God!! He did feel some pressure but that is all. The staff here did a great job in giving him the proper medicine to deaden the pain. They also allowed me to be at his side. Once again, Charlie's tough bones bent the instrument that they used to extract the marrow. We should get some answers starting tomorrow. It will take 3 days to get all the results. Tonight Charlie also received the immune globulin that will boost his immune system. Charlie's primary oncologist told us today that she looked up data on slow engrafters. There have been some of their patients engraft as late as Day +35. She believes that Charlie is just a slow engrafter. She also said that out of the approximately 1400 stem cell transplants that they have performed here only one person didn't engraft. She said that she doesn't believe that Charlie will be no. 2. His doctors and nurses all say that he is doing so well in all of the other areas of healing. All of this was such an encouragement to us on a most stressful day.

When I remember what God has done in the healing of my husband, I have to rejoice. The Lord was with us through the entire battle. I am convinced that HE will be with us through future battles also.

3 comments:

Nancy M. said...

I am so happy with you this year
and all that has happened! Your family have a wonderful testimony of strength and Gods love. Thank you for sharing. -lv nancy musser

Glenda said...

Thanks Nancy!!

Deborah Choma said...

Dear Glenda,

After reading your husband's update weekly; praying consistently...and anticipating God's goodness in your life through various means - I thought it would be timely to send you encouragement this day.

I continue to uphold you both and ask for God's wisdom and strength through your trial.

"And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:" Exodus 33:22 -

Isn't it wonderful, that whilst He promises protection for you, He also promises His glory revealed amidst the storms of life? What a beautiful picture of being lifted up, positioned in a safe place, and then covered with His loving arms? We get to see the best DVD (His glory), all wrapped up and secure!

Love You,
Deborah Choma